The new headquarters of the Bank of Albania is a four-level building with an underground four levels parking for a total of about 14.000 sqm.
The project, as the result of an international competition, was realized by the Italian architect Marco Petreschi – full professor of Architectural Composition at La Sapienza University of Rome – who won the tender called by the Central Bank of Albania for the renovation of the building of its headquarters in Tirana.
The project consisted of both the total renovation and restoration of the existing historic Central Bank of Albania, designed by Vittorio Ballio Morpurgo in 1934-36, and the construction of a new building. It now includes the new Numismatic Museum, a new conference hall for 150 persons, offices, meetings room, an internal gallery, a roof garden and an underground four-levels parking.
The internal gallery was designed to favor the creation of a space for people with a comfortable internal microclimate. The different levels of the two buildings and the maintaining of the same height were resolved by creating two lateral sculptural stairs. All aspects of the historic building – structural, mechanical and technical – were restored and upgraded.